STBIM Youth Advocate
STBIM (See the Best in Me) Youth Advocate is a part-time or independent contractor position.
Scope of Responsibilities
The STBIM (See the Best In Me) Youth Advocate is responsible for providing supportive intervention services based on what has been identified as the level of support required by the Young Adult Program Coordinator and in accordance with the Department of Human Services procedures. Steps will be taken to reduce the risk and further mitigate those risk through participation in Gwen’s Girls Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC) programming. The Youth Advocate will have the responsibility of working directly with youth referred to the program. Specializing in working with sexually trafficked youth, the Youth Advocate will be responsible in providing advocacy, counseling, and comprehensive case management.
Essential Job Function:
- Maintain CANS credentialing at a minimum of .80 on a yearly basis. Supports the completion of the CANS assessment in a timely manner after initial CANS has been completed.
- Meet all timelines identified by Gwen’s Girls Screening process.
- Prepare program reports, case management files and plans.
- Helps participants to modify attitudes and patterns of behavior by increasing understanding of self and personal problems.
- Participate in a countywide multi-disciplinary team model based on county best practices in prevention, identification and timely interventions and supports to CSEC youth.
- Facilitate referrals to community resources and to Pittsburgh Action Against Rape.
- Conducts routine home visits, support with medical, hospital visits as needed.
- Facilitates and coordinates training relative to best practices to support CSEC youth.
- Incorporates Sanctuary tools and practices into everyday interactions to create a trauma- informed environment. Upholds the principles of Sanctuary to provide a therapeutic framework and culture.
Educational/Knowledge Requirements: Minimum requirement is a High School Diploma. An ideal candidate should be working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s in a relevant discipline; plus two years’ experience working with CSEC youth. Lived experience is a plus.
- Must have experience working with special needs/at-risk girls and families, with experience in providing gender-specific, trauma-informed approaches to prevention/intervention services.
- Knowledge of inequity issues that impact girls and young women of color.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the complex issues that impact girls living in under-served, low socioeconomic areas.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Knowledge of guidelines and regulations of all levels of Service Coordination Services.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong organization skills and ability to pay attention to detail.
- Must be able to commit to working approximately 8-10 hours per week.
- Must be available to work evenings and some weekends when required.
- Willing to work in and travel to various neighborhoods in the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County.
- Valid PA driver’s license with excellent driving record, reliable vehicle, insurance 300,000/100,000 and registration required.
Clearances Required: PA Act 33 (Child Abuse) / Act 34 (Criminal History) / Federal Criminal History Record (FBI Fingerprint) / National Sex Offender Registry
STATEMENT OF NONDISCRIMINATION
Gwen’s Girls, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, or national origin. This policy includes the handicapped and all Vietnam-era veterans. Gwen’s Girls, Inc. utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.
NOTE: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be necessary for this role. Personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.